Thursday, August 26, 2010

Irizar takes first ever win!


So what's happening to this duo?! First Haimar romps to his first, and then second, win in 10 years in RadioShack colours. Amazing. Then Markel Irizar, another erstwhile Euskaltel rider with RadioShack, takes his first ever win as a pro just weeks later. Incredible, and just as was the case with Haimar, Markel's win is thoroughly deserved after years of near misses and strong team-riding. And, again just like Haimar, Markel took his win in a time trial in a small French stage-race, this time the Tour de Poitou Charentes. And, by the way, Haimar came in third just one second adrift. Speaking after his win, an emotional Markel said: "I still can't believe I won. My emotions on the podium were so strong. First I was thinking of my trainer, then my family, my friends, my former and current team-mates, Johan Bruyneel and Lance Armstrong, who gave me a spot on this team (given that, like Lance, Markel is himself a cancer survivor). This is the reward for all my hard work." I'm delighted to see him finall grab a win. Let's hope he can hang on to his overall lead in tomorrow's last, flat stage!

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers