Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lander lands Etxe-Ondo job

Lander Aperribay has announced he's retired from the sport all together after his two-year stay with the team wasn't extended this year. The 26-year-old showed glimpses of what he was worth during his stay, but generally struggled to make a name for himself in the bigger races. He's now working in the commercial department of Euskaltel's top-end clothing apparel-supplier Etxe-Ondo, while also holding spinning-classes at two different gyms. Even though his stay at Euskaltel was rather short, he holds no grudges towards the team. "For me it was a fulfilment of a dream (to ride in Euskaltel's colours)," he said. "There were good and bad times, but generally it was good. My handicap was my age. I've always been behind schedule and that was a disadvantage. Being 26 or 22 in your second year as a pro is not the same thing. If you're 22 you're more relaxed. At 26 it's time to perform. I improved every year, but I had to improve faster if I was to stand a chance." He also dismissed talks of a comeback: "I don't want to start riding again. I've done my best. I've always wanted to improve, but the results simply didn't. I'll start working at Etxe-Ondo as of January the 1st. I'll ride my bike when I want to and when it doesn't rain. I'll be able to do all the things I couldn't do the last 15 years. Though, cycling was my hobby and it will always stay that way". Well said.

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers