Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Several riders face the axe

According to Miguel Madariaga in today's El Correo, and some personal sources, 6 or 7 riders will have to leave the team by the end of the season. Due to the limited budget, which remains at 6 million euro, and the uncertainty over next year's calendar, it's a step the team is forced to take. Rumours are already circulating on who those 6 or 7 might be, but it's hard to tell. I'm afraid Lander, Andoni, Beñat, Jorge, Dioni and Antton are among those, though I, to be honest, have no idea whatsoever. These are just my thoughts... All 6 of them have struggled, for various reasons, to fulfill their obvious talent this year. I'd be really saddened to see some of them go, especially Antton, who's been going through hell lately due to personal reasons. It's also always been clear that he's got what it takes to make it on the big stage and, as he's my favourite Euskaltel rider, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. There's still many races left for the riders to make an impression this year, though, so hopefully they'll grab the opportunities as they present themselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what about Bru, Hernandez, Irizar and Josu Agirre? I think that there are more riders than you have said

Vegard said...

I don't think that Irizar and Agirre is in the "danger zone". Irizar and Agirre did ok in the Giro, and Irizar's good prolog in Paris-Nice shows that he's got some power in his legs. Hernandez though..I think he has performed below what should be expected. I really thought he could take the step up with the best after godd showings last year. Has he had any problems that I don't know about maybe?

Magnus said...

I forgot to mention Jon, that's true... but he's so talented that it'd be a shame to let him go. Irizar is no doubt assured of a place on the team; he's a solid rider and he's improving. Aitor H is also very talented, and he pops up with the occasional good run of form, so I think he's a safe bet for the future. Agirre I think will be given a bit more time to prove himself...

Anonymous said...

They are all talented, not only Jon.. *sigh* I HATE the end of the season with all the changes that brings it along... :(

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers