Friday, January 18, 2008

Intxausti likened to Iban

Saunier Duval's Basque hotshot Beñat Intxausti, who a year ago turned down an Euskaltel offer, has been likened to Iban by Saunier chief Joxean "Matxin" Fernández. Intxausti is a known admirer of Iban, and has for years been the hottest property in Spanish cycling. "He reminds me of Iban in many ways", "Marxin" said. "He's a brilliant climber and a winner, just like Iban, but he's not as aggressive as Iban. Iban, when in form, attacks all the time. That's not Beñat, he's more calculative. We have great hopes for him". I was gutted to see him turn down Euskaltel last year, as he's going to be one of the biggest stars in the sport in a few years. His performances in the Worlds and the Tour de l'Avenir is a proof of that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He will be good, for sure, but one of the best of the world? Don't know. Two year younger Mollema did better in Tour de l'Avenir.

We've much talented Dutchmen btw. Dekker, Gesink and Mollema are potentional Tourwinners. Boom for Flanders and Roubaix...

Lizzard4567 said...

Oh please shut up about Dekker, I really can't stand him. I do believe in the big potential of Gesink and Mollema, but I also believe that Intxausti can do better :P

Anonymous said...

Well, I ain't a fan of Dekker too, but he has quality for sure. And lets hope Intxausti can do better indeed. Dutchmen don't really interest me. Like Gesink though.

Magnus said...

You're right, the Dutch cycling future looks bright indeed. Dekker has got all the talent in the world, no question. Gesink I really like, he'll be a superb climber in a few years. Mollema is... well, he's amazingly talented as well. It remains to be seen whether Boom will focus on the road, but if he does, then I agree with you Arnout, he'll be a Classics contender. Beñat and Javier though are of the same mould I reckon. And, yes, Dutch riders aren't really that interesting. And, once again lizzard, I agree; Dekker me don't like!

Anonymous said...

Dekker talks too much. Don't like that.

And indeed, I hope the Basque riders wil be of the same quality!

Boom will do road cycling, in a few years he expects to stop cyclocross, I thought.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Andrew Jackson’s Big Block of Cheese with nary a macaroni in sight.

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers