Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Aketza to defend himself


Aketza Peña maintained his innocense after the news of him testing positive for nandrolone broke yesterday, and stated that he`ll defend himself. Aketza spoke to Euskaltel`s homepage shortly after landing in Loiu yesterday, after a short flight from Italy, where he was supposed to be racing at the time of writing. Aketza had this to say: "It came as an enormous surprise to me (the positive test). I was contesting my first Giro, I was very focused, and suddenly this note of the positive test arrives. I don`t understand this, as I`ve been preparing for this race as I`ve always done". When asked how he was doing, he said: "I`m in pieces, but I have to start my defence. I`ll go to the (Spanish cycling) Association to get some advise. The first thing I`ll do will be to ask for the counter-analyses. I`ve got five days to get that in place, and I`ll start with it tomorrow". Further, Aketza talked of the day the test was carried out and Euskaltel`s actions towards him: "It was a very hard stage (the first stage of the Giro del Trentino). It was a typical stage in the Tirreno region with many climbs. It was very hot, and I crossed the line totally dehydrated. Though, I have no problems understanding Euskaltel`s actions. They are just following the UCI norms". I don`t know what to believe, but there`s still some hope left in me that Aketza will be able to prove his innocense. And, remember, he`s not guilty until the opposite thing is proved.

2 comments:

euskaltel91 said...

I'm very sad. I thought all their big results came from unlimited fighting spirit.

Magnus said...

Me too, it was a real shock to the system...

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers